Friday, September 28, 2007

Melancholy Blues


Hey y'all...


Today is a day of mixed emotions for me. On one hand I'm ecstatic because, for the first time in my life, I'm DEBT FREE!!! Finally got all the transfers done, and thanks to one last gift from Grandma Chrystol, all my bills are paid off!


On the other hand I'm crushed because I found out last night that Patrick Bourque, former bassist for Emerson Drive, passed away on Wednesday. I didn't know Patrick all that well, but through my travels I was able to hang out with the boys in Emerson Drive quite a few times.


My first ED experience was in Fort Lauderdale, Florida when I was touring with Lonesome Road. We had just played in Davie, Florida and we were stopping in Lauderdale for a week's vacation. Driving down A1A looking for a place to stay, we just happened to drive past ED's bus and we thought "Cool! Emerson Drive is here too!", and didn't think anything else of it.


Later that night, we were all out at Beach Place when I got a call on my cell from the LR bass player, Mike DeSalvo. He told me I'd better get on down to Beach Bums because they were hanging out with ED!! I rushed down there, met the guys, and we ended up hanging out together all week. I can't tell you how many times David Pichette, the fiddle player, poured vodka down my throat... boy does that boy like to party!


My second ED experience was my very last gig with Lonesome Road. We were playing at the Longbranch Saloon in Raleigh, NC. We had just finished our first set when ED showed up along with Rushlowe.


We got off the stage and said hello to all the guys and then they took the stage. They rocked it out (of course) and then invited us all out to their bus for some more partying. This is when David introduced me to real Russian vodka! Yikes!


My final ED experience (so far) was when ED was opening for Shania Twain. They happened to be coming through Moline, IL on the tour, so David was able to get me backstage passes, GREAT seats for the show, AND I hung out on the bus and at the hotel with the guys until about 4 in the morning! I took them all some Apple Dumplings from the Iowa Machine Shed and delivered them to their bus before the show. Patrick was done with his first!!


My favorite Patrick story was when I first got to see ED's bus. They were showing us the bunk area and pointed out that Patrick was SO tall that the bottom of the closet next to his bunk had to be cut out in order for him to lay down!!


Patrick was always a joy to be around. He loved to laugh and cut up and was just a genuinely sweet person. I truly enjoyed the moments I got to spend with him.


You will be missed, Patrick! I'm looking forward to the jam session we can have when I see you again in Heaven...


KT

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Mom is ever bearer of good news huh?

Love La

Lauren said...

Hi Honey.. the link to my blog is wrong... its: http://lenoxpems.blogspot.com/